top of page

Turning 18

If you have a child whom is 17, turning 18 soon, you need to apply for disability before he/she turns 18. Your child is currently enrolled on Medicaid as a child (under the age of 18) who is receiving waiver services. The age limit for this type of Medicaid is 18 years of age. When the child turns 18, Medicaid will

automatically be cancelled unless there is a disability determination from you

local Department of Social Services (Medicaid Disability Determination) or Social

Security Administration. 


What do I do?

  • You can file an SSI application on the child’s behalf the month after he/she turned 18.

  • Or if you do not want to apply for SSI benefits, you contact you local DDS and request a determination from them.

How do I apply for SSI?

  • Complete the online disability application to get the process started.

  • AND…. schedule an appointment with a Social Security representative to complete the process. To make an appointment, call 1-800- 772-1213 (TTY 1-800- 325-0778). You can call between 7 a.m. to 7 p.m., Monday through Friday or contact your local Social Security office. Take the first available appointment. Don’t delay because of scheduling conflicts. Make it work in your schedule. It is extremely important to make an appointment and don’t just show up at your local SSA office. Let the guard know at the office that you have an appointment so you will be sent to the front of the line. Make sure to bring all relevant medical records.

  • The SSA will not process your application unless you have set up a representative payee account so benefits can be deposited electronically. Open a representative payee bank account before your appointment. Bring the name/address of the bank, routing number, and account number to your appointment or have your bank complete a direct deposit form that you can present at your appointment.

  • If your child has any assets, bring current bank/brokerage statements, copies of savings bonds, and any other proof of the current value of the assets. If you say that your child has assets but don’t bring proof of their value, the SSA will hold off on processing your application until you provide proof. Remember that a Medicaid recipient can have "no more than $2,000 of assets in his or her name.”

bottom of page